X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of the Hill Database

Hello all,

I'd like to provide an update on the progression of this.

Where to start... I'll start with why its been delayed.

- Currently within the ArmA engine there is no method of tracking projectiles from entities such as tanks or mortars. An example of this, is if you fire from a Mortar and you hit someone you won't be credited with a kill.
    The kill message will simply show "you were killed", nothing more.

The same applies for tanks, where you could be sat in with a team, and you don't get credit for kills, generally only the commander does. This whole entity tracking seems to be almost the same and untouched since Operation Flashpoint.

This is why we are reluctant to progress the database integration into a live environment.

Things simply wouldn't be accurate, at least in our opinion - to those wondering "is this still an issue in the current version, yes, yes it is".

We've been engaging with Bohemia about this problem, we've explained the whole issue in detail to senior members of staff. They seem very receptive, although they haven't yet committed any resources to this problem.
    The most we've been told is that - they've not dismissed our feedback, and they're going to review it AFTER the Eden / Apex update. However there are still no promises in terms of getting the whole entity tracking system reworked... unfortunately.

My / our question to you, the players, is this.

Given the above, now that you hopefully somewhat understand why, and what's going on, would you like us to proceed to push the database integration into the live environment? Given the obvious flaws.

Please note, if we proceed to go ahead, there would still be a wipe of-course. IF Bohemia eventually change the entity tracking within the engine we'd also probably rework everything and then wipe everything and start a fresh with clean accurate recorded results of your kills, deaths, and other "stuff".

Whilst this is vague you can find an high priority issue within our development tracker here: http://dev.arma.su/T26

Please do vote and pass comment below!

Best,
    Yes, lets live with what we've got.
    60.95%
    No, lets wait for a more accurate kill tracking system.
    39.05%
    http://inchshare.net/

Please do not message me regarding ban appeals, all appeals are generally dealt with within 12 hours.

Aren't there more pressing concerns where the highly limited work power should be put into?

Comment

Originally posted by Akiba View Post
      Aren't there more pressing concerns where the highly limited work power should be put into?
      Does this relate to anything about "what we are doing now, in terms of development"? No it does not Akiba... please refrain from such confrontational comments.

This is (myself) providing updates, it isn't impacting on development work in anyway. This isn't Sa-Matra's time not spent coding. It's simply as the first line states an update.
      http://inchshare.net/

Please do not message me regarding ban appeals, all appeals are generally dealt with within 12 hours.

Comment

I believe we should wait to get an accurate and meaningful set of data.

I'd like to add that certain weapon types influence the information involved, and not for the better... specifically lock-on missiles, I think using data like that should be strongly reconsidered. Should we really be recording auto-aim as kills in a long term database?

Sorry for mentioning it, I know how much everyone hates 'cost prohibitive lockon', but I care about this game and its perceived scoring and rank system.

Hoping I didn't misunderstand this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Misconduct View Post
          I believe we should wait to get an accurate and meaningful set of data.

I'd like to add that certain weapon types influence the information involved, and not for the better... specifically lock-on missiles, I think using data like that should be strongly reconsidered. Should we really be recording auto-aim as kills in a long term database?

Sorry for mentioning it, I know how much everyone hates 'cost prohibitive lockon', but I care about this game and its perceived scoring and rank system.

Hoping I didn't misunderstand this post.
          I think this is the wrong section.

Comment

If version 10 is a better version, best to release it, if its no different then no real point releasing it..if projectile tracking has been much the same since Flashpoint then I don't think its their priority nor will be for quite awhile to repair it..I think peeps would prefer not to loose all their profiles unless its for a good reason, especially if the same may occur 6 months later (Possibly)..Personally don't mind either way. Would be nice to have a fully functioning tracking for kills deaths etc and if the version 10 one is a improvement on what we currently have then all for it, even if it misses the odd "lock on" kill. If its much the same would prefer to wait...

Comment

Originally posted by xSpotLight View Post

I think this is the wrong section.
              Inch mentions mortar kills, so in light of that I suggested a new rewards system regarding lock-on (no rewards) - before a database of those kills is created or implemented.

Comment

Given that really the most popular Koth servers are infantry only with no tanks or mortars I think you should push the update out then down the road if the Arma 3 team can correct the problem great. People have been wanting this for a very long time and even if it is not completely perfect it would still be great to see it happen and would deff get me back into Koth, After building a new pc and losing my 100+ rank I have been really holding off playing much in till this update was rolled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion of War View Post
                  Given that really the most popular Koth servers are infantry only with no tanks or mortars I think you should push the update out then down the road if the Arma 3 team can correct the problem great. People have been wanting this for a very long time and even if it is not completely perfect it would still be great to see it happen and would deff get me back into Koth, After building a new pc and losing my 100+ rank I have been really holding off playing much in till this update was rolled out.
                  To be honest, I'd rather see a bunch of smaller patches, that address things like team balance and weapon/vehicle balance than having these major updates that take months to complete. The current gameplay could really be improved by just a few minor changes. Those to me seem far more important than any kind of database integration. Which I'm not even sure what it'll bring to the table aside from a progression wipe, which I'm not looking forward to.

Comment

Voted yes, as this db update is long overdue.

Comment

Remember that there could be 2 wipes, if "yes" vote wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostflux View Post

To be honest, I'd rather see a bunch of smaller patches, that address things like team balance and weapon/vehicle balance than having these major updates that take months to complete. The current gameplay could really be improved by just a few minor changes. Those to me seem far more important than any kind of database integration. Which I'm not even sure what it'll bring to the table aside from a progression wipe, which I'm not looking forward to.

Getting Rid of profile cheaters. Thats what It brings to the table. They are so easy to catch so its not that, but they are huge pain in our butts by first cheating, getting caught 10 minutes later and then spamming us with ban appeals after being permabanned.

Comment

Originally posted by RoidRage View Post
                          Getting Rid of profile cheaters. Thats what It brings to the table. They are so easy to catch so its not that, but they are huge pain in our butts by first cheating, getting caught 10 minutes later and then spamming us with ban appeals after being permabanned.
                          I see how that it can be a problem managing them as a server administrator. That said, as shallow as it may sound, I like my weapons unlocked. Two progress wipes would be kind of meh.

Comment

I feel the votes to be lacking seeing as alot of people who play on these servers are not reading this and because of that not casting there vote so the votes atm are cradle to a handful people.
                            personally on the matter i feel it should wait and my reasoning for this is because as you stated Mortar and Tanks have no tracking for projectiles, So to be blunt this opens a big "Gray area" for Trolls and Team-kills or random firing to kill Friend or Foe, on top of that admin "that i'm unaware of" cant watch peoples actions on where they are aiming for Mortar and Tanks but im also assuming artillery will be used.

this is my first post and i may not have all the facts i'm just going off the info i have in front of me and what i have played so far. I want to see your live environment but i want to see it fair game play that is working.

-OldHomelessGuy

Comment

Yes for a database update.
                              Yes for regular wipes, say twice a year. Miss the feeling of a fresh start, levelling up to permabuy Titan and Zafir. Sick of players spamming jets and AA tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X