This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOTH - Decoys Guide for Beginners! - Arma3 King Of The Hill

I have a lvl 110+ character, I always get approached by new players asking how did you get to that?
    After speaking to them, some are new and some have been playing many months and are still on lvl 30 etc..
    Most players generally play the sniper roll and tend to one time buy their guns/gear, they then sit outside the AO sniping in.

Recently I started a NEW character to create this tutorial.

You are gearing up to start as Defensive/Support Infantryman.
    Your roll is to run to injured players with a White * and heal them or dead players with a Red * above them and revive them, you will also see the * on map this will earn you $100/100xp each.

Once you get the Titan AA Launcher you will target Air Transport, this is very profitable, as well as healing or reviving players where you can, once out of rockets YOLO a tower, re-spawn and do it again!
    People are more likely to let you join thir group if they see you are trying to play the game seriously.
    • You start with 1 perk, use Medic, Buy Nothing.
    • STAY IN THE AREA OF OPPERATIONS, "AO", every 40sec you earn $100/100XP
    • Use the TRG21 and run with a group, when you or your group kill someone take their gear.
    • Always collect First Aid kits and Smoke of dead players.
    • Heal or Revive dead or injured players, throw smoke for cover.
    • Save $10k unlock 2nd Perk, equip Medic and Fatigue, this will help you run longer.
    • Keep using the TRG21 and run with a group, when you or your group kill someone, take their gear.
    • Save $50k and buy the Titan MPRL AA Launcher
    • Equip Launcher + Explosives, this gives you 2 AA Missiles, you are now Anti Air support.
    • Target Hummingbirds or Mohawks transporting reinforcements.
    • Grind and save $100K for your 3rd Perk, or if you must get a gun, get the Katiba you will be using it for quite a while, I would get the 3rd Perk before the Katiba, your choice.
    • Get the RCO or MRCO scope only after you have the 3rd Perk, AA Launcher and Kattiba.
    • Sniping generates the least amount of money and XP.
    You are now equipped to make lots of money and XP, you will have picked up many different guns and scopes to try and figured out what your play style is and what you want to buy.

Some Tips or things to consider:
    - DO NOT enter or use vehicles you did not buy without asking.
    - When using smoke for cover, it can also indicate your position to enemy.
    - Don"t shoot in spawn or at helicopters/vehicles because they left without you.

DUSTOFF = "Dedicate Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces alternativly "CASEVAC, or Casualty Evacuation, it can apply to helicopter or ground medical evacuation vehicles.
    It does NOT mean, Helicopter taking off.

Have fun and see you in the AO.

Level 22
    Aprox 12 hrs of play, Umlocked all 3 perks, Perma Bought Titan AA & Katiba with RCO Scope and 6k in the bank Click image for larger version

Name:	image_632.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	37277
    Last edited by Decoy; 04-09-15, 02:35.

Tips:
    If your team win's you will receive a bonus equaling approx 50% of the total $/xp you earn for that mach.
    You will receive the same bonus on the loosing team, if you are in the AO for 90%+ of the time from when you joined.
    Bonuses are calculated by your in game performance.

Offer to be a driver or commander in armored vehicle, you get 50% of the points the gunner get, if you get a good gunner the $$$/XP will add up fast.

TALK, If you see something important, notify your team in side chat. There's no need to report everything you see, but if you see enemies or an armed vehicle coming into town or a location where your teammates are, let them know!

If you can fly a chopper you can make additional money flying in reinforcements, while in the AO use your AA Launcher against enemy reinforcement transports, fly back rearm and do it again.
    If you hit but don't kill the vehicle or enemy, when someone else kills/destroys them, you will get half for assist.

Scopes:
    RCO, ARCO and MRCO scopes work with your night vision goggles, giving you the same performance as the night vision scope, holding Left/Ctrl while right clicking your mouse will switch between red dot and x optics.

Launchers:
    Titan AA, AT and PCML Lock Fire and Forget
    To use the launcher, right click mouse to aim at target, press "T" to start target lock, you will hear beeping, after a couple seconds the tone will change to solid, you now have lock, left click to fire.
    If a chopper/jet has counter measures it is best to wait till its close and flying at you.

Titan AT and AP Fly by wire
    This is more effective at ranges over 300m, simply aim a bit lower then the target, when fired the cross hair will jump, quickly re acquire the target and hold, cross hair on impact point.
    If the target is moving, hold the cross hair in front of the target in the direction its moving, be patient the further the range, time of flight is longer.
    Practice on some stationary targets at longer distances, great for taking out snipers.

RPG/PCML Aim and fire
    Using the ranging reticle, align the target to the corresponding distance increment and fire.

DEFEAT, END GAME BONUS!!
    You do NOT have to be on the winning team to get a Bonus
    Just stay in the AO and kill enemy to get your Defeat END Game Bonus
    Below we lost to Bluefor, we where on Independent, we stayed in the AO a fair bit as well as killed lots of enemy to get this 35K End Game Bonus

VICTORY, END GAME BONUS!!
    If you'r team WIN's you do NOT have to be in the AO to get a Bonus
    Just stay in the AO and kill enemy to get your END Game Victory Bonus
    We won on Independent, we stayed in the AO, killed lots of enemy and vehicles to get this 46K End Game Bonus.
    The teams started stacked on Opfour and Bluefor, 2/3rd's of the way through the game, as we started to win, many jumped ship to Independent.
    Unfortunatly this is to late, they probably got 1000k maybe a bit more... to bad.

The 2 games where immediately after each other, with the Victory bonus I'am up $50K after buying vehicles, + I'am 2 levels up putting me on lvl 43.

Total Time played 42hrs to get to LVL 43
    gg.
    Last edited by Decoy; 24-08-15, 00:43.

Comment

This will give you a good working idea of the Arma3 KOTH point system.

End of game Bonus Calculation Formula, as posted By Sa-Matra.
      Current formula as of v9:
      ceil((_x * _score / GAME_SCORE_LIMIT) / 5) * 5) max 1000
      Basically: (your earned XP or Money on this team) * (Team score)%, rounded to 5 but not less than 1000
      https://forums.arma.su/forum/main-ca...=1438212617782
      Winning Team End of Game Bonus
      1000xp - $1000 Victory Bonus
      + All Players recieve Above Formula Bonus, regardless of time in AO

Losing Team End of Game Bonus
      0xp - $ 0 Victory Bonus
      + Players receive Above Formula Bonus, If in AO for 90%+ of Time in AO, from joining loosing team.
      Not Good, for out of AO Players in vehicles or sniping etc.

King Of The Hill - Reward Table
      200xp $ 50 Transport Tactical Insertion, up to, Enemy in & Distance from AO.
      100xp $100 Reviving Team Mates, 1x per life
      100xp $100 Healing Team Mates, also does 100% heal.
      100xp $100 Repairing Vehicles
      100xp $100 Objective Under Control, Inside AO, Defending
      100xp $100 Objective Offensive, Inside AO, Attacking
      20xp $ - Team Assist - Enemy Killed by another team player in group
      100xp $100 Enemy Kill
      100xp $50 Enemy Kill Assist
      400xp $200 Enemy Kill Helicopter
      400xp $100 Enemy Kill Helicopter Assist
      600xp $400 Enemy Kill Helicopter Armed
      600xp $200 Enemy Kill Helicopter Armed Assist
      1000xp $600 Enemy Kill Jet
      1000xp $300 Enemy Kill Jet Assist
      1000xp $600 Enemy Kill Tank
      1000xp $300 Enemy Kill Tank Assist
      - xp $ - Laser Designating Target Kill Assist

Last edited by Decoy; 04-09-15, 02:36.

Comment

That is a pretty solid guide
        Something you might like to take a look at is penetration values for the different Appearance Armor Rates, something I believe is worth a mention.
        Although I'm running around as a tourist who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (lvl 70+) I will loot a helmet if & when I get the chance along with med kits and other useful equipment.
        I could not make head nor tail of the given values, maybe you can do better !

https://forums.arma.su/forum/main-ca...ates#post35674

Comment

Sad story, this guide will not stop the stacking teams...

Team Assist give 20xp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoi View Post

Team Assist give 20xp.

I Was not aware that this was a post about team balance..
            iv'e added the current active post about team balancing, you should check that out since you seem to have opinions and suggestions on how to fix it

FYI: Team balancing will be implemented somehow on v10,

And try to keep to the topic of the post next time you post something

Hi guys ! First of all, I like both of the mods made Sa-Matra, but in king of the hill, one team is generally comprised of half of the server population while

Comment

About the end game bonus, from Sa_Matra post:

Basically: (your earned XP or Money on this team) * (Team score)%, rounded to 5 but not less than 1000
              The winning team get as bonus 100% of the xp/$ gained while staying in that team. Others teams get a % of the xp/$ gained; the % is the team score at end game.
              There is no difference if you gained those xp/$ in the AO or outside (afaik).
              Every player get at least 1000xp/$ no matter the winning team or previous score, even if he joins 30sec before end.

Theoretically is better to have balanced teams. Round will last longer = more points> more end bonus.

Adding other advices to your good guide:

when piloting a mohawk be very quick to deploy countermeasures, sometimes they flare after more than 5 sec i throwed a AA missile which is too much.
              Try to mark on map any heavy vehicle you spotted for the more experienced players, delete old markers.
              Then be careful with cars, there is alwais someone stuck in the middle of the road becouse he crashed

Some things beginners (and not) should avoid:
              -entering in vehicles used by others and move them without permission...once in a while happens that someone enter in your vehicle and move it perfectly for that enemy mbt you was carefully avoiding
              -in versions with vehicles think twice before trowing smoke for cover, it's a very good indicator of enemy presence for pawnees, etc.
              -shooting at helicopters/vehicles becouse you're going without them
              -why alwais go on top of buildings?
              Last edited by mik; 27-08-15, 12:17.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys

KOTH is a very diverse fast paced, constant action mod, that hones/refines your combat tactics and weapons skills, helping play vanilla Arma 3 and its other slower mods.
                The post is intended to be a guide for new players, to help build a foundation character while they explore their individual game play style.
                The purpose is to for the player to gain maximum XP and money to gain levels and weapons systems to suit their play style.

To Win, I think every player should focus on how quickly they can get back into the AO and 2:1 KD

Originally posted by Boneboys View Post
                That is a pretty solid guide
                Something you might like to take a look at is penetration values for the different Appearance Armor Rates, something I believe is worth a mention.
                Although I'm running around as a tourist who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (lvl 70+) I will loot a helmet if & when I get the chance along with med kits and other useful equipment.
                I could not make head nor tail of the given values, maybe you can do better !

https://forums.arma.su/forum/main-ca...ates#post35674
                I chose to stay away from this, as it falls under finding your game play style and its an Advanced option if you choose to research it.
                Most will argue a Lynx is a 1 shot kill and its better then a TRG21 for its penetration..
                This might be the case for a sniper 500+m out, where you might not get a second shot, but in close combat out to 50m the TRG has a higher fire rate with next to no recoil, allowing for multiple hits on an enemy while disrupting their aim and ability to fire back.
                From my personal observation it takes 2 chest shots to kill a player even with the Carrier special GL.
                The players focus should be to find the enemy first and deliver the shots.

Originally posted by Hoi View Post

Team Assist give 20xp.
                Team Assist updated to 20xp

The defeat and victory screen shots where a suttle attempt at highlighting, stay on your team get back to the AO and kill as much as you can and you will still get a good end game bonus.

Originally posted by mik View Post
                About the end game bonus, from Sa_Matra post:

The winning team get as bonus 100% of the xp/$ gained while staying in that team. Others teams get a % of the xp/$ gained; the % is the team score at end game.
                There is no difference if you gained those xp/$ in the AO or outside (afaik).
                Every player get at least 1000xp/$ no matter the winning team or previous score, even if he joins 30sec before end.

Theoretically is better to have balanced teams. Round will last longer = more points> more end bonus.
                Correct me if i am wrong..
                In order to get a Bonus on the loosing team, based on the bonus formula, you have to be in the AO for a minimum % of time from joining the team, 90+% was suggested.
                From personal observation, if i spent an extend amount of time in armed vehicles or sniping outside the AO, I only got the 1000xp and $1000.

Originally posted by mik View Post
                Adding other advices to your good guide:

when piloting a mohawk be very quick to deploy countermeasures, sometimes they flare after more than 5 sec i throwed a AA missile which is too much.
                Try to mark on map any heavy vehicle you spotted for the more experienced players, delete old markers.
                Then be careful with cars, there is alwais someone stuck in the middle of the road becouse he crashed

Some things beginners (and not) should avoid:
                -entering in vehicles used by others and move them without permission...once in a while happens that someone enter in your vehicle and move it perfectly for that enemy mbt you was carefully avoiding
                -in versions with vehicles think twice before trowing smoke for cover, it's a very good indicator of enemy presence for pawnees, etc.
                -shooting at helicopters/vehicles becouse you're going without them
                -why alwais go on top of buildings?
                I am choosing to leave these as in game issues mostly affected by the persons hardware or internet speed..
                However I will add the game play etiquet suggestion.
                Last edited by Decoy; 04-09-15, 02:07.

Comment

Greetings!! Great info here so thanks for that. I'm also looking for a detailed explanation of how Team Points are and are not accumulated. I've been looking around for a thread that handle this question but this thread was all that I could find.

In game I have been taking notes and discussing the possibilities with other gamers but there seems to be a lot of guessing going on. Please, no guessing here. If you don't know lets just wait for someone that does.

Comment

Working...
                  X