This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vest and Uniform Guide

Hi guys, at first i want to apologize for my english and would be very appreciated if someone will correct me.
    I hope, that this guide will be answer to questions like "police vest has 100 armor, why it isnt better than any others?" or "Is opfor start uniform really can take more hits than blufor or indy?"

1. Damage model

Bullets cause two different type of damage:
    1. Total damage, Doesn’t depend from point of impact. Depend from
      • ArmorStructural(uniform)
      • Passtrough(uniform, vest, helmet)
      • Something in p3d file(uniform)
      Since the exact value of the last I couldn’t find, I combined it with ArmorStructural and created a coefficient of total damage that found empirically. Total damage = BH*BD*P/TDC, where
      • BH(bullet hit) – ammo property
      • BD(bullet damage) – magazine property (BD = BH*Velocity/Typical Velocity)
      • P - Passtrough
      • TDC – empirically defined coefficient
    2. Local damage is applied to hitzone. Man has 4 – head, body, legs and hands. The first two are critical, and can’t suffer more than 1 damage, legs and arms – can, but you must keep in mind, that total damage is still applied. Local Damage = BD/Armor.
    Consider these and other properties in more detail.

Passtrough – show, which part of total damage will be absorbed. Values of passtrough of vest and uniform or helmet and uniform are multiplied. If bullet penetrate body, real value of passtrough will be changed: P = 1-(1-P)*VC, where VC – velocity loss ratio , VC = (V0-V1)/V0, where V0 – bullet velocity before impact, V1 – bullet velocity after impact.
    ExplosionShielding – simple explosion damage multiplicator, actually its explosion vulnerability.
    Armor – define local damage. All uniforms, including underwear, have some basic armor. Armor rates of vest and armor or armor and helmets are added.
    Actual Passtrough – reduced to underwear passtrough value, AP = P*(Underwear_TDC/TDC), used to simplify presentation uniforms protection. AP works exactly same as P except in the case of through penetration(see above), where P will be changed, when TDC stay constant.
    In case of using AP, Total damage = BH*BD*AP/118.(118 is Underwear TDC)

2. Examples
    1. How much more protection opfor combat uniform has against civilian during to shooting from TRG-21 at 300m distance.
      In guns and vest table find necessary input values:
      BH = 8(ammo), BD = 5.58(magazine), Armor_opf = 12, AP_opf = 0.5, Armor_civ = 2, AP_civ = 0.73.

Local damage
      MaxHits = Armor/BD, rounded down.
      MaxHits_opf = 12/5.58 = 2. MaxHits_civ = 2/5.58 = 0

Total damage(only for opfor, civ will die from first hit anyway)
      TD = BH*BD*AP/118, MaxHits = 1/TD.
      TD_opf = 5.58*8*0.5/118 = 0.189 MaxHits_opf = 1/0.189 = 5. Local damage is critical.

Thus, opfor can take 2 hits in chest from TRG at 300m, when indy - no one.
    2. Which vest is better for RHS uniform – carrier lite or police vest?
      Carrier Lite Armor = 20, P = 0.5(vest table)
      Police Vest Armor = 100, P = 0.7(vest table)
      RHS uniform Armor = 14, AP = 1.(uniform table)
      MX BD = 9.76, BH = 10(guns table)

Local damage
      MaxHits_lite = 20+14/9.76 = 3 MaxHits_police = 100+14/9.76 = 11

Total damage
      TD = BH*BD*AP*PV/118, PV - Vest passtrough.
      TD_lite = 9.76*10*1*0.5/118 = 0.414 MaxHits_lite = 1/0.414 = 2
      TD_police = 9.76*10*1*0.7/118 = 0.579 MaxHits_police = 1/0.579 = 1

You can see, that critical damage is total, so carier lite can take 2 hits, when police – only 1. Its means, that police vest always require uniform with good AP value. Otherwise, high armor rate will be useless.
    3. Max support vest armor

As you can see in example above, must be a balance between total and local damage. In the best case they must be equal, i.e. BH*BD*AP*PV/118 = BD/Armor, where is PV – Vest Passtrough. So, Max armor = 118/(BH*AP*PV).
    The uniform table show values of max armor for BH = 10.

4. Helmets

The helmets(as vests too) does not increase the size of hitzone, bullets that hit the helmet, but not head, doesn’t damage.

Head armor of all uniforms is 2. Except RHS uniforms(armor = 1.5) and wet suits(armor = 4).
    In general, the helmets follow the same rules as the rest of the armor.

5. Overall recommendations

If you have not police vest, the best choice will be opfor uniforms(combat, ghillie or pilot). They have enough AP for 20-30 armor vests, good explosion shield and gives you additional 12 armor. But in case of police vest, only pilot uniforms(any fractions) can support 100 armor.

6. Some about supressors

The silencer increases the initial speed and damage by 10%. In the case of the ar-15 series(include .300BLK) - initial speed of 5% and damage by 26%. (Probably a bug, because gemtech 5.56 coefficient of typical speed = 1.2, which should reduce the damage of 1.2 times, but instead , for some reason, the damage increases)
    But the muzzles also have a little disadvantage - looks like zeroing calc ignores muzzle coefficient of initial velocity, which cause some distance error.

Vests table https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Guns table https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Russian version https://forums.arma.su/forum/p%D1%83...BC%D0%B0%D0%BC
    Last edited by Kovarniy Nub; 14-02-15, 10:27.

Great work!
    Tuhwin - EPM Gaming

Comment

Good info indeed.

Comment

Add helmets, table of damage at difference distances and silencers.

Comment

Fantastic job!

Comment

Do you have a list of uniforms as well? really interested to see what armor values which clothes have.

Comment

Originally posted by Akiba View Post
              Do you have a list of uniforms as well? really interested to see what armor values which clothes have.
              As i said, i couldnt find uniform's exactly values of armor/passtrough in config files. But based on the formula Local damage = bullet damage/armor, we can see, that most of the uniform(list of the uniform, which i tested, you can see in vests table, list "Test result") has 4 armor. Combat tshirt(blufor) and civilian clothes has 2, and some opfor uniforms(pilot, ghilie, combat, specops) has 12 armor. Passtrough of uniforms has more variations, you also can see it in "Test result" list, column "Total%(Passtrough)"

UPD. Made separate list of uniforms in vests table.
              Last edited by Kovarniy Nub; 09-02-15, 14:13.

Comment

Uniform armor\passthrough are defined in unit's hit points that they use model off.

getText(configFile >> "CfgWeapons" >> _uniform >> "ItemInfo" >> "uniformclass")

Comment

Thanks mate, i was just too blind to see it actually

Comment

does this mean a reworking Kov?

Is it defacto true that Opfor by default have more armour and if so how much more?

Comment

Originally posted by THE RUSSIA View Post
                      does this mean a reworking Kov?
                      Yep, thanks to Sa-Matra i found armor/passtrough values in config files.(also "explosionShield", which define explosion vulnerability and "armorStructura"l, which affect to total damage). But, according to this config, opfor pilot uniform must be worse than combat, but its not. So, looks like, that damage model depend from p3d file too.

Is it defacto true that Opfor by default have more armour and if so how much more?
                      Opfor have best default uniform.(opfor - 12 armor, blufor - 4, indy - 2)
                      Last edited by Kovarniy Nub; 11-02-15, 04:22.

Comment

The question is in how many engagements will it actually make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Akiba View Post
                          The question is in how many engagements will it actually make a difference?
                          without vest, at short distance, opfor can survive 1 hit in body with damage<12. or 2 hits<6(pdw, for example).

Comment

Thats quite a balance issue then...

Comment

Originally posted by Kovarniy Nub View Post
                              without vest, at short distance, opfor can survive 1 hit in body with damage<12. or 2 hits<6(pdw, for example).
                              So 1 free 7.62mm hit then....every1 else gets fcked....

Comment

Working...
                              X